Taubensee Background

History

Our Distinguished Past Brightens Our Future

The Strength of Tradition and Experience

In 1946 with World War II having ended, Tom Taubensee of Kokomo Indiana, was among millions of returning GI veterans to the United States. His father, Henry Taubensee, a long time Steel Executive was running his own sales firm; Taubensee Sales Company. Henry felt that 1946 was an opportune time to begin a steel distribution and manufacturing company as the United States’ need for steel and related wire products was very strong. Henry asked Tom Taubensee to come to Chicago to begin a new steel company.

Taubensee Steel's FoundersTogether along with Tom’s brother, Jack, the threesome formed Taubensee Steel Company and hoisted the Taubensee sign over a warehouse on Randolph Street on Chicago’s near west side sixty-six years ago, on June 24th, 1946. The company began by distributing nails, steel mesh and other construction products in the Chicagoland area. It wasn’t long before the operations had outgrown that first warehouse and in 1951, Henry, Tom and Jack purchased land and built a new building in Franklin Park, Illinois.

Expanding the Business

When Henry Taubensee passed away in 1969, the Taubensee brothers decided that one would acquire the steel company and one would own a joint venture they had in a McDonald’s restaurant in Janesville, Wisconsin. Tom, having been President of the company since its inception in 1946, retained his ownership in the steel company and Jack took control of the McDonald’s in Wisconsin.

In the 1970’s, family members Kent, Dale, Bruce and Jill all joined Taubensee Steel and Wire Company and began a growth curve that drove the organization to again acquire land to build a new 150,000 square foot building in Wheeling, Illinois. In this facility, Taubensee expanded its production of plating quality wire, straightened and cut steel wire as well as cold finished steel bars. In 1987, Company Founder and visionary, Tom Taubensee passed away and Dale Taubensee assumed the role as President of the Company.

Growing Taubensee's Reach

In 1995, TSW opened a second facility principally to serve area wire product needs for low carbon steel wire in Henderson, Kentucky. The ideal location of this facility paired with its proficient work force and management team was the cornerstone for abundant regional growth. In 2001, the Henderson facility added a second major product line and began its production of high carbon steel wire, for the bedding and furniture industries.

Celebrating the Future

Our innovative management team and committed Career Investor Employees continue to grow TSW’s legacy of dynamic customer service and satisfaction with top quality cold finished bar, plating quality low carbon steel wire, and high carbon steel wire. In 2013, Taubensee Steel & Wire Company unveiled its 3rd facility in Bridgeview, Illinois with direct access off Interstate 294. The Bridgeview Bar Mill produces large diameter cold drawn bars up to 3.5 inches. The expansion provides greater service and value, as Taubensee looks to satisfy a majority of the needs of the cold drawn bar rounds market.